Moving home is often one of the most stressful activities you will undertake, and with a million and one things to remember, it can be hard to keep on top of it all. This is why the professional home removals team at Barnes of Lincoln have compiled a handy moving house checklist, filled with tips and advice to make the move as smooth and stress-free as possible!
2 months before the move:
- Once your moving date has been confirmed, you should book any necessary time off work. It is normally best to book a few days either side of your moving date to give yourself plenty of time.
- Begin collecting or ordering cardboard boxes – you can never have enough of these!
- Have a clear out. Moving home is the perfect time to sort through all your possessions, getting rid of things you no longer use, want or need.
6 weeks before the move:
- Hire a removals company. Here at Barnes of Lincoln we are a professional removals company specialising in both domestic and commercial moves, and operating throughout the UK. We also offer secure storage facilities and tailor each move to your individual specifications. Give us a call as soon as possible before you move and we can arrange for a free consultation and quote.
- You should now also begin planning your move – deciding what furniture you’re taking with you, what rooms everything will go in and if there is anything else you are going to need to buy before the big day. It’s a great idea to make a floor plan of your new home, marking where each piece of furniture is going to go.
- You should also think about your storage needs. If you are likely to require storage, speak to our professional team and we can help you plan accordingly.
4 weeks before the move:
- Take a full inventory of all the belongings you will be taking with you. This will make it much simpler to keep track of everything.
- You can now begin packing items you don’t use very often, such as books, DVDs and seasonal goods, sorting them into boxes and labelling them appropriately.
- Notify Father Christmas
1 week before the move:
- Pack! During the final week you should pack all the non-essential items – only leaving things you will definitely need during that week. Make sure everything is sorted into boxes with similar items and clearly labelled – this will make unpacking a lot easier!
- Put all important documents, such as passports, driving licences and birth certificates, in a secure box.
- Clean your home thoroughly – including defrosting the freezer.
The day before the move:
- Finish packing any last minute objects and pack overnight bags with the things you will need the next day, such as clothes, toiletries and tooth brushes.
- Make sure you have the keys to your new home!
The day of the move:
- With most of your hard work complete, it can now pretty much be left to the professionals. You should make sure you are there, though, to let the experts know exactly what needs to be done and guide them around your home.
- Before leaving, take a final look around your property, making sure you haven’t forgotten anything. Things such as lamp shades, mirrors and paintings are often forgotten, so double check for such items!
- Once you have arrived at your new home, let our team know exactly where everything needs to go. Not only will this make unloading the van easier for them, it will make unpacking and settling in much easier for you.
- And finally, once all your furniture and belongings are safely inside, there is only one thing left to do… enjoy your new home!
If you are moving home and would like more information on our first class removals services, get in touch with the friendly, highly experienced team at Barnes of Lincoln today!