Newark01636 499 481
Lincoln 01522 899 966
Skip to content

Who to Notify When Moving House

Posted on

Moving House Planning

When moving home, there is a seemingly never-ending list of things that you need to do, with new tasks popping up everyday. Alongside packing your belongings and coordinating the move with your partner, there is also a whole host of people and organisations who need to know about your relocation.

In this article, we will detail all of the important people that you need to notify when moving home, ensuring that you’re all set when you put your bags down.

  • Utilities

One of the first things you should do is make sure that the companies who provide your gas, electricity and water are aware that you will be moving home, so they can close your account from your move-out date and you can avoid unnecessary bills.

  • TV and broadband

It’s also worth notifying the TV Licensing Authority and your broadband provider, as they too will need to update your records and transfer your account over to your new address. Some broadband providers might not be able to transfer your account, in which case you will have to find a new provider.

  • Car Insurance

Your car insurance provider should certainly be notified of your move. This is simply because, if you have moved to a completely new area, then this could impact on the cost of your car insurance and, if you’re lucky, lower it as well! For example, if you now park in a garage where you used to park on the road, your insurance will reflect this.

  • DVLA

Again, when moving home, the DVLA should be one of the first people you call. Why? Well, if you hold either a provisional or a full UK driving license and are stopped by the police, if you have the incorrect address on your license, you could be fined up to £1000. Similarly, if you fail to update your V5C form, this could land you with another £1000 fine! This is because, if left wrong, your tax could be sent to the wrong place. So, with all of this in mind, make sure you inform the DVLA – it could save you a lot of money and a lot of bother!

  • Health organisations

While this tends to happen a little further down the line, you shouldn’t forget to alert your GP about your change of address, and to register with your new GP, too. When you register with your new doctor, you will need to provide proof of address, so this task may not be as urgent as some of the others on the list.


Barnes of Lincoln provide expert home removals throughout the UK. Our movers are highly trained and will work to your specifications, making sure that all belongings are packed, handled and transported as safely and efficiently as possible. We provide only the highest quality service to all our customers no matter what the scale of the move. We even have a worldwide overseas removal service of equal quality. If you’re in need of a reliable removal firm, get in touch with us today.


Back to top